Hey, guys. Sorry for not posting anything earlier. As soon as I got past feeling incredibly crappy and unwilling to do much of anything that required thought all the time I was suddenly working in New Haven and I didn't have any time to do anything ever! But work's eased up a bit, so I thought I'd ramble incessantly at you and the internet for a while.
So after gradutation [sic] I spent two weeks at home not wanting to be at home. It was bizarre; I was essentially shellshocked, being torn away from school so fast. I didn't have any time to adjust, to ease out of Wesleyan. It was just over and I was at fucking home again. The worst part, of course, is that I haven't even been able to move onto the next thing, you know? Two weeks at home with no direction or anything to do. Most of my friends aren't even in Maine for most of this summer. On the plus side, I did use my time to read The Sound and the Fury and re-read Dune. The former is amazing, the latter was... not as good as I recalled from high school, when I first read it. I suppose that's to be expected.
At least I'm New Haven (at the International Festival of Arts & Ideas) and have something to do, now. Quite a lot to do, actually. I'm working minimum eight-hour days six days a week. It's only a three-week job, granted, but I'll definitely be pretty fucking exhausted by the end of it. Not to mention in better shape; I'm on my feet all day, constantly lifting heavy shit, and I'd forgotten how much better I eat when I'm buying my own food. So that's a plus.
Another plus is my festival assignment this week. I'm Assistant Stage Manager to a guy named Ray Dobson, who's both the Technical Director for the festival and the Stage Manager for this week's concert series in a beautiful Yale Law School courtyard. Ray is basically an enormous badass. The man knows how to do everything. He's got these three roadcase toolboxes on wheels, one of which is as tall as me, that contain... just about everything you could ever need for building or working with electrics. He's also enormous and a bit terrifying, but he seems to like me, which is good. I'm looking forward to learning all sorts of useful shit from him.
What else? I've finally got a day off on Friday, and I'm going to visit Gedney in Middletown around dinnertime. Still no new developments there, really. Feelings are lame, as we all know. Anyway, she's working on Friday until 5:00, and I have nothing to do all day, soooo... if anyone wants to come to New Haaaaaven, give me a call.
I miss you all RAH-ther a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
man, i feel ya. being at home i feel very unmotivated and unenergized. i just kinda stay at home a lot and try to find a job (i'm not very good at it). instead of reading i've decided to rewatch all of arrested development; i'm almost done. i'll let you know about new haven.
Post a Comment